Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Winter Solstice, Milli Vanilli and Happy Holidays!

Hello and welcome to "The Greenkeeper"!  Today is Wednesday, December 21, 2011 and the first official day of winter.  Actually, winter begins precisely at 12:30 am December 22nd this year when the tilt of the earth reaches its southern most point and while we all eagerly await the arrival of the winter solstice, and the official start of winter, it seems enough rain has moved into the region to fuel rumors of a Milli Vanilli reunion.  A trace of rain fell late yesterday evening and this morning it started raining while I was in route to the club.  A quick glance at the radar indicated today was going to be a washout and the forecast for the next several days all show... rain!  In fact at the time of this writing over an inch of rain has already fallen.  As our good friend Charlie Brown would say..."Good Grief"!

Anyway, I know some of you are probably thankful the temperatures are warm enough so rain is all we receive and there are some of you wishing the mercury would fall and we could have a white Christmas!  I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too but at least with the holidays here there should be plenty of cake!  I just wanted to take a moment and wish everyone at CGC a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah or perhaps you remember Seinfeld and Kramer's holiday, Festivus!!  Whatever your beliefs and celebrations I just wanted you to know my family and I wish you a very happy and joyous time this season.  We are off to the commonwealth just north of here (Virginia) to see our families and I am looking forward to spending time with them and of course eating more than I should.  I will be back the first part of next week but until then I want to wish each of you again a joyous Happy Holidays!! 

See you on the course,

Matthew Wharton
Golf Course Superintendent

No comments:

Post a Comment