Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lots To Be Thankful For!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and hopefully many of you will spend the day with family and friends.  I hope you are able to congregate together and enjoy a traditional feast.  I can visualize the women strategizing their Black Friday shopping plans while the men fall deep into a turkey coma during the second half of the afternoon football game (hoping this is me).  To all the members of Carolina Golf Club I want to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

After many years of loving birthdays, Christmas and other holidays I think I have finally realized Thanksgiving is truly my favorite holiday of the year.  I love being with my family and just enjoying our simple time together.  Of course, it helps to have an eight year-old granddaughter who can do no wrong keep the mood light!  I have been blessed to be the golf course superintendent of CGC since 2005 and every year I find more reasons to be thankful, not just at Thanksgiving but throughout the entire year!

This year I am thankful for…

  1. my family!
  2. my faith!
  3. my short game (most of the time)!
  4. my newest and most loyal best friend, Solomon!
  5. normal fall temperatures for the first time since I moved to Charlotte!
  6. a hard working and devoted staff!
  7. the support of the Board of Governors and General Manager!
  8. the support of the CGC membership!
  9. the relationships and friendships I have developed with many of you over the years!
  10. being entrusted to care for the greatest golf course in all of Charlotte!
I am also extremely grateful and thankful for my wife and family!  Putting up with a man who works all the time, complains about the weather and stresses over his college football team is no walk in the park and she probably deserves a medal!  Plus this year she has tolerated my complaining over a recent slump in my golf game.  It seems when the summer weather finally broke and I was able to get back on the course my swing from spring was nowhere to be found!  If anyone should locate it please phone the golf shop and let either Nick or Steve know...thanks!

Carolina Golf Club, thank you again for everything you have done for me and my family!  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and…

...see you on the course,

Matthew Wharton
Golf Course Superintendent

No comments:

Post a Comment